AVI (Auto-Valve, Inc.), a quality-focused aerospace parts manufacturer, located minutes from downtown Dayton, is seeking a Design Engineer for our growing team.
REPORT TO: Engineering Manager
JOB SUMMARY: The Mechanical Engineer is responsible for the creation and improvement of products that involve the engineering department. This includes the design, development, and testing of AVI products.
Key performance objectives are:
- New product design and development work of the engineering department.
- Engineering responsibility for projects –technical content.
- Support the maintenance and improvements of existing AVI products.
- Lead and/or contribute as needed in design review meetings.
- Follow AS9100 requirements as driven by quality manual.
- Write test plans and test reports and gain customer approval.
- Builds relationships with the engineering counterparts of our customers.
- Conduct testing to validate AVI products at AVI and/or testing facilities as required.
- Utilize 3D CAD software to create models and drawings.
- Work with model shop to have prototypes and test fixtures created.
- Utilize Analysis (FEA, CFD) tools in the development and validation of products
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: The responsibilities listed are fundamental to the position and must be performed successfully to achieve the key performance objectives of the role. Other responsibilities may be assigned.
- Communicates regularly with the Engineering Manager, members of Quality Assurance, Manufacturing, regarding objectives, issues, and open projects. (AVI Team)
- Trains and coaches employees on equipment, software, standards and best practices regarding product testing and support.
- Communicates regularly with customers in support of product development or improvement projects.
- Responsible for the creation and review of final engineering drawings or drawing changes released by Engineering to ensure conformance to all design parameters and specifications.
- Ensure that engineering released drawings are secure, protected, and cannot be changed without following proper change procedures.
- Contribute to proposals or plans to determine time frame, funding limitations, procedures for accomplishing project, and allotment of available resources to various phases of project.
- Confers with engineering team to outline work plan and to assign duties, responsibilities, and scope of authority.
- Coordinates activities of project personnel to ensure project progresses on schedule and within prescribed budget.
- Confers with project team to provide technical advice and to resolve problems.
- Interfaces with customer’s technical representative to resolve technical concerns.
- Assists Sales when requested with estimates/proposals including engineering technical details, drawings, and development time estimates.
- Assists Sales when requested in technical support during quote review, sales calls and customer visits.
- Owns the development and maintenance of AVI products through engineering drawings.
- Provides data and input for the development, and ultimate improvement of engineering performance metrics.
- Must clearly understand regulations and procedures to assure AS9100 QMS to ensure that engineering department procedures are in compliance.
- Helps to identify training needs, initiates professional development opportunities, and recommends effective action plans to increase the job-related knowledge of employees and build the skills necessary
Expectations and Accountabilities
- Communicates regularly with staff members regarding objectives, issues, achievements, and open projects. (Excellent Communication Skills)
- Provide feedback on product performance and identify development opportunities.
- Can Handle multiple projects and activities simultaneously (efficiently and timely)
- Maintains work areas (clean, clear, respectful of common space)
- Engineering Specific:
- Drawing Release/Creation
- Drawing Changes
- Drawing Protection
- Project Planning
- Current Product Support
- Current Product Improvements
- Current Product Cost Reduction
- New Product Development
- Test / Qualification (Plans, Testing, Reports)
- Test Equipment in support of Qualification
- Best Practices (AVI Standards)
- Development Supply Base
Qualifications and Requirements:
- 5 or more years in a lead mechanical engineering role.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering or job experience.
- Preferred background in dealing with aerospace requirements (industry experience).
- Preferred background with fluid systems.
- Desired background with design and test of electro-mechanical components such as servos and solenoids.
- Excellent communication skills and mastery of quality science in order to capably interact with all customer engineering, quality, and purchasing contacts; within the organization (AVI), and with its suppliers.