The Engineering Manager is responsible for the overall function of the day to day operations and achievement of AVI strategic targets primarily in the engineering area which include managing the engineering activities within the organization, implementing and maintain engineering objectives and initiatives, managing the creation and improvement of products that involve the engineering department. Leads and direct the work of others within the engineering department. Key performance objectives are:
- Project oversight of new product design and development work of the engineering department.
- Principle engineering responsibility for department projects –technical content.
- Support the maintenance and improvements of existing AVI products.
- Developing subordinates in technical and leadership areas.
- Contribute at the executive staff level representing the engineering department needs.
- Contribute and provide input into the strategic planning process for the corporation.
- Builds relationships with the engineering counterparts of our customers
- Develop and maintain engineering department metrics for reporting performance and accountability.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: The responsibilities listed are fundamental to the position and must be performed successfully to achieve the key performance objectives of the role. Other responsibilities may be assigned. Interpersonal Responsibilities: 1. Communicates regularly with the CEO, General Manager, Quality Manager, Manufacturing Manager, Human Resources Manager, and Controller regarding objectives, issues, and open projects.2. Trains and coaches’ employees on equipment, software, standards and best practices regarding product design and support.3. Communicates with employees regarding product development and maintenance activities.4. Communicates regularly with customers in support of product development or improvement projects.
- Responsible for the review and approval of final engineering drawings or drawing changes released by Engineering to ensure conformance to all design parameters and specifications.
- Ensure that engineering released drawings are secure, protected, and cannot be changed without following proper change procedures.
- Reviews proposals or plans to determine time frame, funding limitations, procedures for accomplishing project, staffing requirements, and allotment of available resources to various phases of project.
- Establishes work plan and staffing for each phase of project, and arranges for recruitment or assignment of project personnel.
- Confers with engineering team to outline work plan and to assign duties, responsibilities, and scope of authority.
- Directs and coordinates activities of project personnel to ensure project progresses on schedule and within prescribed budget.
- Confers with project team to provide technical advice and to resolve problems.
- Responsible for the effective and timely corrective action and decisions regarding non-conforming material through participation on the review board.
- Interfaces with customer’s technical representative to resolve technical concerns.
- Assists Sales when requested with estimates/proposals including engineering technical details, drawings, and development time estimates.
- Assists Sales when requested in technical support during quote review, sales calls and customer visits.
- Effectively and continuously communicates corporate information regarding all aspects of engineering as needed to perform their respective duties.
- Serves as a contributing member of the leadership team, partnering with the general Manager and other members of the executive team. Participates in the strategic planning process.
- Creates a culture of performance and lean, productivity, continuous improvement. Acts as a positive change agent for culture change.
- Owns the development and maintenance of AVI products through engineering drawings.
- Develops, maintains and improves engineering performance metrics. Maintains and provides data to the leadership team.
- Must clearly understand regulations and procedures to assure AS9100 QMS and ensure that engineering department procedures are in compliance.
- Continuously evaluate the talent base and overall bench strength of the department.
- Conduct performance reviews of direct reports. Identifies training needs, initiates professional development opportunities, and recommends effective action plans.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- 5 or more years in a lead mechanical engineering role requiring supervisory or leadership activity.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering.
- Preferred background in dealing with aerospace requirements (industry experience).
- Preferred background with fluid systems.
- Excellent communication skills and mastery of quality science in order to capably interact with all customer engineering, quality, and purchasing contacts; within the organization (AVI), and with its suppliers.
- Establishes and implements training programs which are designed to increase the job-related knowledge of employees and build the skills necessary for superior performance.