Directly responsible for the production part conversion process and cost-effective methods in the CNC and machining operations to meet the requirements of the engineering product drawings. Develop these process methods that meet all quality standards and refine the methods to optimize production profitability and on time delivery through the part production conversion sequence. The end result is a quality product delivered to the customer’s satisfaction and meeting company’s KPIs.
Key performance objectives are:
- Develop and maintain primary and secondary production manufacturing methods and processes for NPI programs and ongoing continuous improvement.
- Implement manufacturing methods and processes into routers in the ERP system environment.
- Produce cost estimates for component manufacturing conversion and system assemblies.
- Support the maintenance and improvements of existing production manufacturing methods.
- Provide manufacturing team leadership.
- Build and maintain relationships with company cross functions.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: The responsibilities listed are fundamental to the position and must be performed successfully to achieve the key performance objectives of the role. Other responsibilities may be assigned.
- Communicates regularly with the Engineering Manager and Engineering Supervisor regarding objectives, issues, and open projects.
- Communicates with department employees regarding manufacturing process methods to produce parts and assemblies that meet the design and quality requirements of the product engineered drawings.
- Lead by example to execute work using best practices of manufacturing methods, router structure, and documentation.
- Develops and plans all phases of any complex manufacturing project with minimal supervision, including engineering, design, quality, manufacturing process plans, and tooling design related to CNC machining and related processes.
- Develop detail process plans in an ERP environment to generate the router steps defining relevant manufacturing technical information and generate associated PFMEAs.
- Develop part and assembly cost estimates from product design drawings which includes inside CNC machining, secondary operations, and outside secondary operations.
- Have strong familiarity with CNC programming.
- Identify, plan, and execute to completion continuous improvement initiatives throughout the manufacturing operation.
- Produces in-process drawings and tool designs, using SolidWorks CAD environment.
- Setup and record photos and videos to be implemented into manufacturing instruction processes.
- Resolution of assigned problems to determine root cause and corrective actions through the 8D process. Effectively communicates results with other cross functional departments, suppliers, and customers.
- Coordinates with Production Planning, Purchasing, Sales, Quality and Product Engineering to expedite deliverable products within estimated time and costs.
- Communicates with all departments to assure the most economical manufacturing process per the Company’s current capabilities and procedures.
- Perform time studies and investigate inappropriate time standards that may need adjustment for accuracy with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrates effective process control knowledge in SPC charting, identification of KCC (Key Control Characteristics), as well as determining effective corrective action.
- Reviews and determines disposition of rejected parts and discrepancy notices when called upon. Depending on disposition, may issue rework or replacement routings to floor, submit repair procedures, deviations to Quality Assurance to forward to internal and external customers for review.
- Responsible for all NPI (New Product Introduction) manufacturing processes up though the first 3 lots produced on the manufacturing floor after Limited Production Release of the product design.
- Responsible for Quality, Delivery and Cost (in that order) for all manufacturing processes.
- Assists other Manufacturing Engineers as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- An Associate’s Degree or Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering in one of the following fields: Mechanical, Manufacturing, Industrial, or an equivalent.
- 10 years minimum of direct manufacturing method and process development of CNC machining operations
- Individual must possess exceptional math and trigonometry skills as well as sound 3D CAD design skills preferred with SolidWorks.
- Excellent knowledge of manufacturing conversion processes.
- Good communication and organizational skills are necessary and incumbent must be a team player with a willingness to share knowledge.
- Experience producing precision machined products in a ISO9000/AS9100 regulated environment and applicable aerospace manufacturing requirements.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
SPC Experience, Lean Training, Six Sigma Training, 5S Training, Strong in data collection and spreadsheets, use of a variety of measuring equipment, digital recording devices, familiar in working within a network environment, experience in working in an ERP system.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and occasionally required to stand, walk, and use hands to finger, handle or feel. Job responsibilities demand exposure to the production floor. Company lifting limitations will be enforced. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.